The leading luxury travel network, Virtuoso, has just announced the Virtuoso Luxe Report 2018, a trends anticipator for the luxury travel and experiences market.
The report presents the preference of luxury travelers, and is the result of annual surveys with travel consultants around the world.
By 2018, exploring destinations off the beaten track appears like a strong trend; in Brazil, countries like Iran, Lebanon, Rwanda and Iceland are trend among the most experienced travelers. Japan and South Africa are on the preferred destinations list by Brazilians since 2017, as well as Portugal.
According to Virtuoso consultants, discover the experiences you can’t miss next year:
- Cold is hot: unexplored regions in the Arctic, Alaska and Patagonia grow in popularity. Iceland appears as a world trend;
- Exploring new destinations is one of the main reasons for packing. Travelers seek unusual destinations and new experiences;
- Closer family ties have been a motivating factor in the report since 2010. Family travel will continue to be important in 2018;
- Breaking Africa is an experience pointed out by consultants, whether to get to know South Africa, go on a safari or discover Morocco. The continent appears as one of the most diverse and interesting.
- Be a traveler and not a tourist – living immersive experiences, making local friends and discovering neighborhoods seldom frequented by tourists are the best ways to get to know a destination for real.
Clients of Virtuoso agencies seek to live authentic moments and experiences out of the ordinary. Many of them pick unusual accommodations such as igloo, tent or private castle.
Get to know the destinations and trends for the luxury travel market pointed out by the Virtuoso Luxe Report 2018:
Top travel trends
- Adventure travel
- Celebrations tours
- Exclusive itineraries (private jets, yachts, others)
- Family travel and multigenerational travel
- Gastronomic trips and cruises (tied)
Reasons to travel
- Explore new destinations and search for authentic experiences (tied)
- Relax and rest
- Personal enrichment
- Live new adventures
- Reconnect with family and friends
Favorite destinations for Brazilians
- United States and Japan (tied)
- Iceland and South Africa (tied)
Top emerging destinations for Brazilians
- Rwanda and Cuba (tied)
Favorite destinations for family travel
- South Africa
- Australia and Colorado Mountains (tied)
Favorite destinations in the US
- New York
- Miami/South Beach
- Los Angeles
- Orlando and Colorado Mountains (tied)
- Las Vegas and Napa Valley/Sonoma (tied)
Favorite destinations for honeymoon
- French Polynesian
Favorite destinations for Brazilians millennials
- Thailand and Tanzania (tied)
- Costa Rica
Favorite cruise destinations
- Greek islands
- Amazon and European rivers (tied)
Source: Virtuoso Luxe Report 2018 – images: release (November, 2017)